Fit For Nuclear (F4N) is a unique service to help UK manufacturing companies ger ready to bid for work in the nuclear supply chain.
The programme lets companies measure their operations against the standards required to supply the nuclear industry – in new build, operations and decommisioning – and take the necessary steps to close any gaps. It is not a formal qualification, but a journey of business improvement. We will support you through every step, but F4N will demand commitment and drive from your senior management team.
F4N has been developed by the Nuclear AMRC with the support of its top tier partners, including nuclear new build developers and the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority. These industry leaders are using F4N to identify potential companies for their own supply chains.
More than 1,000 companies have already completed the online F4N assessment, with most receiving ongoing support and development from the team. Around 150 have been granted F4N after putting their action plan into practice – from Contract Manufacturers with no nuclear experience aiming to take a first step into the sector, to established suppliers wanting to benchmark their position and drive business excellence.
Your F4N journey will be tailored to your needs, but generally follows the following stages:
- Nuclear capability questionnaire – An initial nuclear capability questionnaire through the F4N online tool. This will help us understand how we can best support your business.
- Online self-assessment – This covers six key categories of business operation and performance, with multiple-choice questions in each category.
- Site verification visit – If you meet the minimum standard, your F4N industrial advisor will contact you to arrange a visit to your company to review and verify your answers.
- Action plan – Your industrial advisor will support you as you create an action plan to close any gaps in performance.
- Programme reviews – Your industrial advisor will arrange regular meetings to discuss your progress through your action plan, and update you on the latest news and opportunities in the nuclear market.
- Nuclear checklist – Nuclear buyers have specific expectations. By working through the nuclear checklist, you will assess your readiness to meet these expectations.
- Pre-grant visit – As you near the end of your action plan, your industrial advisor will visit to review your progress, and work with you to prepare your case for the F4N granting panel.
- F4N granted – Once the granting panel is satisfied that you can meet all the standards, we will grant Fit For Nuclear for a period of three years.
- Ongoing support – We will add you to our online directory of F4N companies. You can use the F4N hallmark in your own marketing, and will have other opportunities to promote your business through the Nuclear AMRC including the F4N Connect portal. Your industrial advisor will visit you twice a year to ensure that your business is maintaining F4N standards, and to help you access ongoing support.
If you have any questions about the F4N programme or would like an informal discussion about whether it is right for your business, contact your regional industrial advisor
Kevin Shepherd: email@example.com
Participating companies range from contract manufacturers with no nuclear experience aiming to take a first step into the sector, to established suppliers wanting benchmark their position and drive business excellence.
F4N is designed for businesses with 10 or more employees or with a turnover of £1.6 million and upwards, as the principles of the programme are more difficult to apply to microenterprises. Microenterprises with the potential to offer a niche product or service to the civil nuclear sector should still get in touch to discuss how F4N can help.
To start your nuclear journey, go to: f4n.namrc.co.uk
If you have any questions about the F4N programme or would like an informal discussion about whether it is right for your business, contact:
Kevin Shepherd – firstname.lastname@example.org